Monday, September 24, 2007

Blogs

As I mentioned previously, blogging is a totally new process for me. I thoroughly enjoy reading others thoughts on various topics. It's a great way to see a different perspective and certainly can be enlightening. That said, I'm a little intimidated by it all. Part of the issue is attempting to blog on topics that are new to me as well as finding time to read the published blogs, process them and comment or contribute. Now if the discussion related to gardening, bird watching and identification, the joys of living with cats, being a new grandparent, I could gone on at length. Come to think of it, maybe I need to look for blogs related to those topics, but that will have to wait until I've completed the course. In the meantime I'm enjoying gaining new skills through this course.

4 comments:

Mrs. Parsons said...

It is so true that it would be hard to blog on something you don't have as much interest in. It's no different than reading a book, newspaper or magazine article, you choose what interests you. That's why the RSS readers are so nice, you can choose your topic of interest. Even things like the google news, you can put in your interest like gardening and receive lots of articles on just that topic.

Pat Parslow said...

I think one of the great benefits of blogging on a subject which is new to you is that as long as you make it clear you are a novice in the topic, people tend to leave helpful comments.
When they do, you get the opportunity to learn, and everyone benefits from the experience of communal, open learning. But it is intimidating - for me, the idea of posting something which might be wrong is horrible. But, on the other hand, if you don't share experience and knowledge, it takes a lot longer to get it!

mrichme said...

Pat,

Part of your experience in blogging can be tied back to your classroom. Think about those students who's strengths lie in other areas. They probably say, "if the teacher was able to put the content into something I'm passionate about I probably would get it."

Think of blogging as one form of communication that you could use in the classroom. It may not be for everyone but it definitely has a place in the classroom.

Jeff said...

I encourage you to start reading blogs on those other topics, find and add them to your RSS reader.

In order to understand how this new tool works in education we must first understand how it works for us on a personal level.

Feel free to write about those things here. This is your space, you own it....let your thoughts and information flow! :)