Monday, November 26, 2007

Becoming a grandmother

This summer I finally became a grandmother. I was beginning to think it might never happen. I have to say it's wonderful. I feel really blessed because my son and his family live nearby in a small cottage that we own. They won't always be there but for now it's fantastic. It works out well for them because they pretty much have a built in babysitter. It works out well for me because I can see her as much as I want.

I've been babysitting a lot which is actually one of the reasons I've gotten so behind in my blogging (never mind the long hours working for a living). They've asked me to babysit partly because my son had back surgery in the beginning of the month, but also because they have had a busy social schedule. Mind you I'm not complaining. My granddaughter is 4 months old now and really starting to smile and be interested in her surroundings. She's high maintenance in as much as she's not satisfied in any one position for more than 10 minutes but in time she'll be able to amuse herself.

Of course, I'm the classic grandmother taking lots of pictures and showing them to coworkers, friends and family at every opportunity. I will say that raising children really is meant for the young. Lots of energy expended. Of course, the best part of being a grandparent is that we can play with them all day - and then we can give them back.

No comments: