Friday, November 30, 2007

Don't feed the bears



Living in the country in New Hampshire we get all kinds of furry visitors in our yard. One of the ones that can be a little more bothersome are the black bears. Over the years we have had a number of encounters with them. Either because someone left a bag of trash outside or from leaving the bird feeders up too late in the spring. It's always amusing telling our friends that live in the city about our encounters. Each spring I try to anticipate when the bears are going to come out of hibernation. Most of the time I don't get it right because I'll take the bird feeders in at night but before long the bears figure that out and stop by during the day. The picture I included was from this spring. He's only a young bear but he looked pretty big compared to the chickadees that had been on the feeder prior to his visit. That was the last day that birdfeeder was outside this spring. I was lucky that he didn't get it down before I saw him.

No comments: